Monday, July 11, 2005

Traditions

I was browsing movies at collegetown video, looking for some interesting ways spend this evening. Three girls seemed to be doing the same thing, rather loudly. If intuition and stereotypes hold, they were probably Cornell Summer Schoolers or Cornell Summer Sports Campers. I overheard them trying to decide which scary movie to rent, as they browsed the 'horror' section. They didn't find anything that met their approval, and proceeded to consider other, less scary options. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I immediately thought of the classic masterpiece Alien, which I had just watched a few weeks ago. I was tempted to point this movie out to them, but I hesitated. I hesitated because of the sketch factor - I was listening to their conversation (hard as it was not to at the given volume) - not just listening but paying attention - and I was likely five years their senior. But really, truly, all I wanted to do was spread the Alien legacy to a new generation. I wanted to share this work of genius with people who seemed likely to appreciate it. Alien is nothing if not scary. Somehow, I said fuck-all, and I got one of the girls' attention. I asked her if she was looking for a scary movie, and, apparently pleasantly surprised, she said that she was. I asked her if she'd seen Alien, to which the response was, "the Old one?". Yes, I said, and handed her the tag from the DVD cover that you exchange at the counter for the movie. She asked if it was good, and I assured her that it was. I was thanked, and then I left. I don't know if they rented it, but maybe they did. And maybe they liked it too. Especially the chestburster scene.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home